Wednesday 5 November 2014

Inspiration - Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders is an Animation director and Illustrator, who has worked within the animation industry since 1984; starting off with character design for the animated tv show  'Muppet babies'. Working with Disney from 1990-2007 on films such as The Lion King and Lilo And Stich ,he then transferred to DreamWorks to begin work on How To Train Your Dragon and The Croods. 

STORY BOARD ARTIST...
Working on a number of films as a storyboard artist, his unique style helps communicate extremely well when drawing movement and gestures.

 It's clear that when he illustrates a scene with his storyboards, a certain personal charm comes across; his drawings are so simple and yet so detailed down to the finest point. Highlighting what he wants to communicate in that scene to others; Depicting emotion perfectly/what the character is possibly thinking and expressing movement.

WRITER...
Chris sanders pitched 'Lilo And Stitch' to Disney in 1998, with an illustrated pitch booklet of the original concept of the story. Only 4 years in the developmental stage, he adapted his character designs and over all story so much for Disneys target audience;its oddly strange and yet interesting how much the film moved away from its original booklet form and yet some elements from the story are so clear in the film.


 Chris Sanders has had such a drastic impact on my own work and my attitude towards storytelling in general, since I discovered him a few years back. In fact he's one of the few artists which I idolise, I could even go as far to say he's the reason I want to become an animator some day (or something similar). I can't possibly describe how much I adore how he depicts the female body and expression. The flow of line within his illustrations are so lovely and full of charm, along with the soft smooth colours he uses and the over all humour. Of course, he's most famous as an illustrator for these pin up girls I adore, which are amazing and hopefully I will have the honour of spending WAY over a 'students budget' on one of his pieces or even sketchbooks.



Seriously, I'd trade my useless(don't need it to draw) left hand to simply meet the guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment