Sunday 2 November 2014

Animation Project: Classical Elements// Character Design Roughs

I'll admit, designing female characters are far more entertaining to me then designing male characters.

first scribbles of characters
When first putting pen to paper, I scribbled up a very curvaceous flame woman and a curvy mermaid. Along with a idiotic looking centaur which I wasn't too impressed about; In fact I hate this design a lot. However, I loved the look to the mermaid but didn't feel like it fitted the way I wanted the character to be physically portrayed in the slightest. Much like how the flame woman wasn't as 'diva' looking as I originally wanted.

first scribbles of characters


 Next I focused on the two female characters, leaving the male centaur to design last.
I drew out a skinner more childish looking mermaid, which I think suits the character of a selfish 'brat' more then a curvy beauty. I also wanted her to be quite shallow and materialistic, so draped her design with pearls and such.
Mermaid concept

I'm very happy with how the rough concept work for the 'flame woman' turned out. I especially like how a bigger figure can resemble a dancing flame itself. I also scribbled up a quick ' confrontation ' between both female characters. I want both female characters to be total opposites to each other and no where near alike in looks or movement. I will have to do some flame studies in the future, looking at how a flame flickers and dances then see if I can inject that movement and characteristic into her design further.

I still want to work on each of the characters and their designs further before I play around with their colour pallets. I also need to study up on horses and their structures, in preparation in designing the male centaur for this animation. Wish me luck~!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment