Wednesday 30 September 2015

Telling Tales// Why, hello again Maya

Today was a wonderful day.
I was re introduced to Maya after a 4 month long break and I must admit I've missed Maya. Sure, sometimes it pointlessly freezes and crashes resulting in losing all of your work (which honestly is your own fault because to be fair, you really should be saving your work more often) But 3D animation is the future of the animation industry, if not is already and despite my love for hand drawn animation I must admit I am developing an interest in continuing to animate with Maya in the future past this project.

Anyways, back to the project at hand;
Despite finding maya enjoyable and fun to craft with I still get a hint of intimidation from the software every time I boot it up, but today we've been introduced to a pre made model that we then were free to animate and pose as much as our hearts desired. I really enjoyed animating gestures, a great deal more then I expected! The joints of the rigged model I found very easy to use and made positioning the model any way I wanted a far quicker process then I previously predicted. The point of this days lesson was to familiarise ourselves with software, but I managed to animate a very simple gesture.


I began with experimenting with a sassy pose for the model but then remembered how to animate using keyframes within the timeline feature. After applying a basic texture onto the model and creating a simplistic lighting effect; I then quick timed it as evidence instead of rendering it completely.

For a first attempt at animating a humanoid character in Maya, I'm satisfied with the animation. It's not very fluid, but the rough gestures are there. I can't wait to work more with maya now!

No comments:

Post a Comment