Wednesday 30 September 2015

Telling Tales// Strike a pose! Part1

'Strike A Pose' 
This week I plan to complete a small task set by my teacher. The task involves selecting 5 emotions from a list and expressing those emotions with the pre-made Maya model we've been given. The list of emotions are as followed; Fear, Anticipation, Shame, Happiness, Bravado, Envy, Exhaustion, Sadness,Pity, Confusion, Sadness, Pity, Confusion, Anxiety, Amusement, Timidity, Hunger and Awe. I've decided to select Anxiety, Shame, Surprise, Exhaustion and Pity from this list. I've chosen these 5 because I think they cover a wide range of possibilities for posing, so I can have more fun with this task.

Today we also briefly spoke about why reference material is so crucial to refer to when animating, in particular the video reference footage Disney used as early as their first motion picture 'Snow White'. I wasn't aware Disney studios filmed reference footage for most (if not all) of their movies scenes, filmed similar to a theatrical play rather then having the references being entirely dedicated to the storyboards. The references footage they filmed weren't so much to capture the placement of the characters entirely, but to capture their gestures. Commonly the studio would hire the characters voice actors to act our their characters movements, simply because that actor is already familiar with that character and how that character perhaps would move.

As part of this task we are expected and reacquired to take reference photos inspired by the emotions we have selected, in preparation to later recreate those poses in Maya. I'm going to be using myself as as a reference model tomorrow, hopefully I'll manage to make a start on posing the model too.

No comments:

Post a Comment