Monday 16 November 2015

Telling Tales// The face and the texture

After completing the modeling process for the right side of the model I then used the mirroring tool to reflect it to the left; creating a solid model. I still had yet to model the facial features for the character. Originally I had carved eye sockets into the models face before I then mirrored it, but when I attempted to mirror the model I created some sort of glitch and the edges of the eye sockets attached themselves to each other - resulting in the whole model becoming inverted and I instantly undid it.

Below is a screenshot of the completed modeled character:


When modelling the nose I used the 'bevel ' tool, which I found extremely useful.


Next I began work on applying a texture to the model. 
Using the UV map I protected the models geometry using the tool and then using the 'cut edge' tool I selected the edges I wanted to cut - in order to produce the 'shells' of the model. I cup around the top of the legs, the arms, the wrists, the top of the head (for the hat) and down selected a slit down the back of each segment. Unwrapping the shells I then saved the UV map and opened it up in Photoshop. After inverting the UV map I then duplicated the image and then selected the top version and used the function  'multiply' so that I was able to paint colour beneath it (using another transparent layer). I found it quite difficult to line up the layers of colours for the characters rainbow legs but I really enjoyed this process. After saving the newly painted UV Map (without the lines) within the 'source image' of the project folder for this model I loaded up the texture within Maya. I had some trouble to begin with when applying the texture; Maya crashed before I could save the cut UV that I had already been working with in photoshop. So when I attempted to cut the model again by the edges and applied the textures… I got this odd effect…


This strange outcome occurred because maya crashed before I had saved it. I had already been working on the texture in photoshop for the model and had finished it; I attempted to cut up the 'net' of the character again instead of starting again on her texturing and thought I'd done it correctly like the last time - however this happened.. must of cut the wrong edges, huh?

Here is the second texture map I made for the model, this one I added details like stitching and creases to help bring her model to life.
Below is a turn around of the textured modeled character: 


For the mouth, here is a sample sheet of 'changeable' mouths for the textures that we're going to use later on when animating the characters.




No comments:

Post a Comment