Sunday 15 November 2015

Responsive: Made you look

Today for responsive we all piled into the lecturer hall to sit down and watch a documentary about being a creative in the digital age. I found this documentary very eyeopening and inspiring as it featured not only illustrators but print makers, self proclaimed doodlers and creatives alike; who all agreed that a movement into digital wasn't necessarily the future for creativity.  Featuring the London print club I felt partially inspired, as an animator I spend most of my university study hours animating within the studies and haven't really experimented with traditional forms of art such as painting (which is something I adore) and printing (which is something I've never really attempted). Coming away from the documentary I really wanted to get more involved with the printing studios within college.



One of the artists featured within the documentary was Andrew Rae, illustrator and a member of peepshow collective. I really enjoyed being introduced to his opinions on his own art and the digital side of creativity.

Looking into his work he also animates, which is something I've very keen to learn more about, Here is a little gif I found on his website of one of his 'moon faced' characters... I really love his way of drawing.

Another artist featured that claims herself to be a 'professional doodler' Hattie Steward. She claimed to of kicked off her interest in doodling when she began drawing on top of a magazine cover because she wanted to be part of the cover; she really enjoyed it. So continued, as you would do if you enjoy doing that something. And now, she produces amazing beautiful pop art illustrated pieces that remind me slightly of 1930's,40's cartoons.

I enjoyed the screening, it was quite refreshing to watch a documentary that reassured me not everything creativity was moving to the digital world integrally; which is something I feel is constant around me as a animation student. I've already begun work on a small 'ZINE' comic that I want to print in the printing studios from talking to a few other illustrator and discovering my partners secret collection of poems about poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment